10.03.2012

Everyone mistakes me for a Nepali and I often hear the phrase: "I thought you were Nepali; you look Nepali."
This is what Jon has dubbed The Chamilion Effect. He takes me anywhere and I transform into a Nepali, an Indian, a Brazilian, Mexican, etc. 
I'm quick to adapt to change. Although it seems that the most important change of my life would be moving to Nepal, it's actually a BIGGER change to let go of Tiny Hands. I'm not completely gone from the community of TH (since my husband now works for TH now), but for me, I've slowly exited out of my former roles. Starting in DC back in April (with the transition to move to Nepal), I was able to hire and train replacements to take over the NGO communications. The Intern Program for Tiny Hands has now ended as well as the DC Stop Modern Slavery Walk (two major responsibilities I held onto until recently while I was still in Nepal). The last major thing on my plate is to help Passion Conference send Meena to the US to share her story. God's timing was perfect for change. Within one week I was hired to help replace another missionary who had to pass on her duties because her family was moving back to Australia. Now as the Admissions & Scholarships Coordinator at a K-12 school, called the Kathmandu International Study Center (KISC), I must adapt to an entirely new world of working (indirectly) with kids!

Speaking of kids, I've seen a big change in my heart for my role as a wife and potential mom lately too. Stronger maternal instincts have started getting into high gear at 25 (I blame the adorable orphans I get to spend so much time with here..and all the cute street puppies too)! God's completely reconfirmed Jon and my desire to adopt our first child. The process takes years, and like anyone planning for a family, it takes money. However, we're not letting that stop us from starting the paperwork and looking into the adoption process fully! It's an exciting time.
September was full of major thoughts like changing jobs and the potential to adopt, but also the little things added up also: 
  • We have many thoughts about the work of Tiny Hands. The good is when we see joy: in the kid's faces, in the relationships we're building with fellow staff, and in seeing God clearly work in us to change our hearts by seeing and experiencing all these things firsthand. We also consider the bad when we think of hard times we've had in our marriage, the closeness of proximity we have here compared to our lives in DC, and how difficult it will be at times to live in Nepal for the next year and a half. Nepal can be extremely stressful and we can easily get strained with the smallest of occurrences: errands, difficult expectations, language barriers, etc.
  • I've been hoping to lead college students longer term to build relationships and truly invest in my next season on ministry. I'm praying for one opportunity in particular that may keep me extra busy if it gets going, but for now, it is something to vaguely pray over.
  • We've also been reconsidering our priorities to evangelize through our work and we've started to understand the significance of this for Tiny Hands also. We've thought a lot about the "issues" like stories that have sunk in about women that are homeless, mentally ill, or the short lives of street girls. We've thought and prayed a lot about the 14-year old girl that TH helped rescue this past month from a life of sex work. What we were doing while in Pokhara: "TH conducted operations in Nepal recently that resulted in the extraction of a 14yr old girl from sexual exploitation.  She is now safe back with her family starting her life over again." One of the struggles we encountered during the operation was the lack of aftercare options and that there is a need for more shelters in Nepal. We really took for granted what it means to be "free" from literal bondage and the "freedom" that only God can provide by believing in Him. It was hard to watch the process in the end and know that this young girl may never know the Gospel at a time that was especially crucial in presenting Christian counseling or aftercare. ------In all that I really learned a great lesson: to ask permission to ask someone questions and that it is not right to question someone you don’t know. Also that some people feel that they shouldn't ever be questioned about their religion and that their own faith is "personal business" that no one else has the right to question.
Jon with Investigations Team
    • I've thought a lot about my religion, other religions and culture. I celebrated femininity on a traditional Hindu festival called Teej, where in this culture, the women dance the night away (I joined the women in my building complex one night after returning home to a public party -- with blaring music -- in the middle of our foyer).  Should I have danced if it seemed "wrong" to Nepali Christians? What if this is the way I am setting up my own ministry with my neighbors? They all say hi to me in the foyer as I pass by now. A night for women to celebrate women (through a bit of dancing) seemed to be the best remedy to break down walls and all accept one another...I must admit things did go a bit far with the Hindu culture stuff that I really had no way out of without having to disrespect my new female friends. I also discovered within the past few months here that it's difficult to be Christian and a feminist-- that's a totally opposite view than I've EVER had -- as a woman you must be a bit concerned with female issues and rights. I'm all support for females removing all other distractions and focusing on loving one another (NO MEN ALLOWED DAYS ARE WELCOME IN MY BOOK!).
    Teej: Family of Women
      • We're gearing up for our support raising tour in the States! We've been researching, calling and following up with many churches. It's something we hope to be encouraged by and not something that will deter us from coming back to Nepal in February. It's a constant struggle knowing you should release your full trust in God, yet have to take literal steps too. We took major steps in determining our steps when we return (meaning we have for sure decided to return hehe), especially by committing to fixing up our apartment and subletting it -- fingers crossed -- while we are away. It's my big interior design dream to be doing this in an Indian-influenced culture!
      • My women's small group from the intl. church
      • We're praying for those who will join our staff when we return in the late winter/early spring. Especially for hiring a very mush needed Border Monitoring Director, a Church Liason/ Chaplin and more Dream Center teachers, etc. Pray for my new job at KISC school too! 

      0 comments: