1.08.2009
In order to discover oneself, one must discover their heritage. Therefore, I am led to the Philippines this January on a quest to discover my roots and to acknowledge my cultural traits.
I have grown up in two ethnicities: Italian and Filipino. Both ethnic backgrounds have equally contributed to my upbringing. For example, sausage making parties, spaghetti gatherings, and pointy noses are strong indicators of my Italian side. Whereas, the smiley, loud attributes are gained from my Filipino roots.
Due to my mother’s inheritance, as a Filipino-immigrant to the States in 1981, I have gained a tan completion, an obsession with cleanliness, as well as, the ability to endure life’s challenges.
Although physical features are clear indicators of cultural traits, I've grown tired of misperceiving Filipino's from their customs. Questions abide me like: Why does my Ate point to things using her lips, why does my Tita always feed me too much, who qualifies to be a Tita/Tito if anyone out of the bloodline counts too, do Filipinos even own knives, and lastly, what drives my mom to give everything she has for her kids?
I have never before been to the Philippines to discover all that the culture has to offer. Therefore, this trip is going to help me gain a better perspective of my understanding of how my mother ticks, quirks in Filipino relatives, and all else that equates to half of whom I have been created to be.
Thank you for checking this blog and I hope you can gain insight about Filipino culture with me!

0 comments:
Post a Comment